The blog of BaggieAggie, designer of bags, gadget cases and other fabulous accessories handmade in Wales. Sprinkled with recipes, gardening chat, the odd piece of short fiction, and anything else that inspires (or annoys!) me. So pull up a comfy chair and stay a while.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday 21 July 2010

Quick Spelt + Rye Bread

Spelt flour is an ancient wheat. As it’s easier to digest, it can be eaten by most people who, like me, have an intolerance to modern wheat. Spelt contains gluten, so not suitable for coeliacs, but ideal for bread-making. However, the gluten is more fragile than that found in modern wheat, so it won’t stand up to lengthy kneading and baking. This loaf recipe is the final result after much experimentation, and I hope you’ll enjoy it.


QUICK SPELT & RYE BREAD

(Makes one MEDIUM loaf on a FAST-BAKE programme in your bread machine.)

125g rye flour

375g stoneground spelt (or a mix of white spelt and stoneground spelt, or all white – I generally use half of each)

320ml warm water

1.5 tablespoons olive oil

1.5 level teaspoons salt

1.5 level teaspoons fast-action dried yeast

Mix the spelt and rye flours together in a large bowl.
Add the water to your bread-machine’s pan, then add the salt and olive oil.
Spoon in the mixed flours.
Make a well in the centre of the flours and sprinkle in the yeast.
Put the pan in your bread-machine and set to medium / fast-bake programme. If using white spelt in your flour mix, set crust setting to ‘Dark’.

2 comments:

  1. Would you believe I have Coeliac Disease!!

    I dont know if I have put it in any of my Posts?

    I should do a Post about it really, but maybe people would be a bit bored do you think?

    My Mum and Sister have a wheat intolerance, but they are often naughty and then pay for it!!

    Unfortunately I cant be naughty, cause I wouldnt absord any nutrients if I was:(

    I just sit and watch other people eating, smell the aroma and make them feel REALLY guilty haha.

    Oh, Fish & Chips, Steak & Kidney Pie, Pasties. I am drooling, haha
    love
    Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh baked bread - will have to give this a go this weekend xx

    ReplyDelete